I aim to write accessible articles about blockchains, bitcoins, distributed ledgers and fintech, in plain English, for business people.
New book! If you like this blog, you’ll love my book The Basics of Bitcoins and Blockchains. It is an essential guide for anyone who needs to learn about cryptocurrencies, ICOs, tokens, and business blockchains. Written in plain English, it provides a balanced and hype-free grounding in the essential concepts behind the revolutionary technology.
Most recent posts
- 29 Oct ’19: KYC in Stablecoins
- 28 Jul ’19: Tokens: Shares with Benefits
- 3 Jul ’19: State Sponsored Money – Under Pressure?
- 18 Mar ’19: Tokenisation – Innovation in Capital Markets
- 7 Feb ’19: Who legally owns all the shares? Not you.
- 31 Jan ’19: Tokens – Lowering the Barriers to Innovation
Gentle introduction series
- A gentle introduction to blockchain technology
- What is blockchain?
- Avoiding blockchain for blockchain’s sake: Three real use case criteria
- Distributed ledgers: “Confirm-as-you-go”
- What’s the difference between a distributed ledger and a blockchain?
- Distributed Ledgers: Shared control, not shared data
- Confused by blockchains? Revolution vs Evolution
- A gentle introduction to immutability of blockchains
- A gentle introduction to Ethereum
- A gentle introduction to self-sovereign identity
- A gentle introduction to ICOs
- A gentle introduction to smart contracts
- A gentle introduction to digital tokens
- A gentle introduction to bitcoin
- A gentle introduction to The Hyperledger Project
- A gentle introduction to money
- A gentle introduction to interbank payment systems
In a nutshell series
- Ian Grigg’s Ricardian contracts and digital asset prehistory (Epicenter interview Oct 2016)
- DTCC whitepaper – Jan 2016
- Eris (Epicenter Bitcoin interview – Jan 2016)
- Multichain (Epicenter Bitcoin interview – Nov 2015)
Thoughts and reactions
- Tokens: Shares with Benefits
- State Sponsored Money – Under Pressure?
- Tokenisation – Innovation in Capital Markets
- Who legally owns all the shares? Not you.
- Tokens – Lowering the Barriers to Innovation
- Bitcoin’s payments are not peer-to-peer!
- Banking when the bank is shut: Token maximalism
- Can blockchains reduce the impact of data breaches?
- Please believe my database
- Frictionless tokens create friction
- Bitcoin price, gold, and nonsense – how not to value bitcoins
- Blockchains and central banks – what have we learnt?
- The hype around Central Banks, digital currencies, and blockchains
- Blockchains and financial inclusion
- Blockchains and laws. Are they compatible?
- Blockchains and cyberwar: Why the next wave of interbank settlement systems will be decentralised
- Yes, but what’s new with distributed ledgers?
- The emergence of blockchains as activity registers
- No, blockchain is not a solution looking for a problem
- So you want to use a blockchain for that? Some common misconceptions.
- KPMG Report on Consensus (Jun 2016): Interview with co-author George Samman
- Just because it’s on a blockchain it doesn’t mean it’s true
- On loyalty points and blockchains
- What you get for free with blockchains
- On disruptive innovation in FinTech
- Big wow for blockchain collaboration amongst banks
- On KYC and blockchains
- The pros and cons of internal blockchains
Events and presentations
- 11 Sep 2019: The State of Security Tokes in Asia (Invest: Asia conference, Singapore)
- 6 Sep 2019: Investacrowd Digital Securities Forum, Singapore
- 27 Aug 2019: Global Digital Finance Roundtable, Singapore
- 18 Jul 2019: Bank of Thailand Bangkok FinTech Fair: Common Issues on Blockchain Implementation talk and panel
- 20 Jun 2019: Hubbis – Digital Wealth Asia Forum 2019 Singapore, Panelist “The Blockchain – what does it mean to you?”
- 22 May 2019: Digital Asset Working Group: APAC Readout, Singapore – organiser & presenter
- 7 May 2019: Blockchain in Finance conference, Singapore, 2 panels: Cross border payments and Securities settlement
- 2 May 2019: FIX conference, Hong Kong, APAC Trading Summit, Panelist: “Asset Tokenization – The Trend and How it will Impact Trading Going Forward”
- 4 April 2019: Deconomy, Seoul, Moderator Vitalik Buterin & Nouriel Roubini
- 20 Mar 2019: Money20/20 APAC, Singapore: Panelist
- 13 Mar 2019: Token2049, Hong Kong, moderator: “Security Tokens, the road to trillions?”
- [oops, I’ve been lax updating my site…]
- 21 Jun 2017: Building the Blockchain business case (Blockchain for Finance conference, APAC)
- 21 Apr 2016: Bitcoin and blockchains in ASEAN: Interview on Brett King’s Breaking Banks
- 25 Jan 2016: FinTech Finals Hong Kong
Opinions are my own and do not represent those of any entities I am affiliated with.